Thursday, July 23, 2009

Kris, Dave and the Lumps: Neck Biopsy

2009-July-22
Went to the hospital for the biopsies today. Turns out they found 2 areas of question near the mastectomy/reconstruction site and we had two in the neck. Dr. Jones said that he may not pull the lower spot in the neck out as it's behind the clavicle (collar bone).

Surgery went quicker than I thought it would though we still got there at 11am and weren't out until after 5pm. Dr. Jones came to me in the surgery waiting area and he looked upset. He said 'it doesn't look good' in relation to the tissue he pulled out which, naturally, upset me quite a bit. He also noted that he found a pocket of fluid in the area of the tram flap and Kris now has a drain in place for that fluid.

When Kris came out of surgery, it was obvious Dr. Jones had not talked to her and I felt I had to be straight with her. If we are going to beat this thing, again, it has to be done up front, I feel. I broke down and she broke down and I was very surprised at how rapidly she bounced back and was smiling and joking with the nurse staff very soon after I gave her the news. When I was able to talk again, I told her that we really don't know what the issue is, we just know that 'it doesn't look good.' Fact is, it could be a number of things but, unfortunately, the odds are it's cancer again. I need to point out that both of us noticed that she's starting to cough. Each time she's had cancer, she's had this minor nagging cough that has a distinctive... sense... to it. That is how she's coughing now.

So, it's wait and see. We see the Oncologist Friday and we hope he will have answers from the biopsy then... and I hope that it will not be cancer... and I know that whatever it is, we'll beat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment